Sunday, July 08, 2007

Summer update

I feel like I owe someone a blog post. Truth is, I have so many things I could post about, I don't know where to start. Maybe I'll do the Gary Underwood bullet points to get caught up and go from there.
  • We recently returned from a long trip. First a drive to Iowa, where we spent time with Janet's family, here sister in the Waterloo area and her folks 45 minutes away on "the farm." While we were there we celebrated Lindsey's 6th birthday and the Chezik's 50th wedding anniversary. We had a great time!
  • We stopped in at the National Farm Toy Museum. An interesting slice of Americana.
  • I got to go to a worship conference at Saddleback Church in Orange County, CA. it was great! more on that some other time.
  • I visited the Y a couple of times while in CA. I like the Y in Raleigh better.
  • On the first night in the OC I skipped early registration and went to an Angels baseball game. They played KC who swept them in the three game series.
  • It's humorous to me that in CA, the highways are all qualified by the locals with "the." It's not "take 405 to exit 106," it's "take the 405 to exit 106." I'm gonna start referring to 440 and 540 as "the 440" and "the 540" and see if it catches on.
  • At church, I feel like we could do a lot of things better, but I also feel like we do things as well as most churches. I'm mostly referring to music and tech here.
  • I had the largest pork tenderloin sandwich I had ever eaten at this fair, in IA.
  • The Mississippi River begins in Itasca State Park, Minnesota, and flows south 2,350 miles, to the Gulf of Mexico. I learned this at the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium, in Dubuque, IA.
  • I have become a fan of Hampton Inns.
  • Before our trip, we had to spend about $860 in our van, plus get it inspected.
  • While returning to Iowa from CA, via DFW, I missed my connecting flight and had to sleep overnight in Ft. Worth. I hooked up with a couple of dangerous characters:



  • Over the course of many hours of driving, one of the ways I entertained myself was to "read" by audiobook Crime and Punishment. I'm about 1/3 through it.
  • Man, was it hard to go to work this morning. The services went well, but it was a lot of work! God works in spite of us.