Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Facebook Scam

I have occasional discussions with my wife about the various pros and cons of social networking in general and Facebook in particular. Even though she hasn't jumped on the bandwagon of Facebook yet, I had an experience today that should make us all think twice about our connections and who is really on the other end of the line.

In my browser I have set two perma-tabs and faviconized tabs that are always open. (Check out this great hack from smarterware using Firefox extensions). So even when I'm not actively using one of those browser windows, I'm constantly logged in to Facebook and my Google Reader.



While working elsewhere today, I heard the familiar chat pop come through my speakers indicating that someone was sending me messages. I flipped over to the Facebook tab and found that my friend Micah, whom I have not spoken with since our high school graduation, and whom, other than this Facebook connection I have shared maybe one sentence of "hey how ya doin'?" initiated the following conversation:

Micah
hey!
you there?
10:30amBrian
hey man! what's up!?
10:31amMicah
not good at the moment
10:31amBrian
what's going on man
10:31amMicah
i'm stuck in London,England at the moment
10:31amBrian
not a bad place to be stuck, I'd say? flight delayed?
10:31amMicah
i was mugged at gun point last night
10:32amBrian
oh wow...down town?
10:32amMicah
here in england
10:32amBrian
did they beat you up?
10:32amMicah
all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off me
i was hurt,bruises all over my neck
10:33amBrian
awe man, I'm sorry...did they take a passport?
10:33amMicah
i still have my passport with me
i've been to the US embassy and the cops here
they're both not helping issues at all
10:34amBrian
not working together?
10:34amMicah
they asked me to wait for 3weeks,but my flight leaves in less than 3hrs from now
but the hotel manager won;t let me leave


At this point, I'm trying to picture his scenario, the embassy, the cops, and the hotel thing. These pieces didn't elide in my head, almost as though he doesn't want to admit something--but I kept going:

10:35amBrian
because you have no credit card?
10:35amMicah
yeah to settle the hotel bills
10:35amBrian
are you there on business?
10:35amMicah
yeah
i need your help urgently


OK. I paused. At this point, a lot of questions are going through my mind. Remember, I haven't seen or heard from this guy since high school. I'm beginning to have doubts, but I continue.

10:35amBrian
what do you need?
10:36amMicah
i need you to lend me some few bucks to settle the hotel bills
i'll pay you back tomorrow as soon as i get back home
i don;t want to miss my flight
10:36amBrian
so you're there on business? why do you need ME to do that? what can't your company do that?
10:37amMicah
i came here on a business trip by myself
10:37amBrian
no one else state-side to support you? are you in business on your own?
10:38amMicah
yeah
no one to contact now
please help me
10:38amBrian
hang on a sec
10:38amMicah
ok


At this point, I'm smelling something funny, but just to get a second opinion from a guy who also knew Micah from high school, I called my good friend Dan. Right away he declared it a scam. I didn't want to be played, but I didn't want to leave an old buddy in need. Dan's idea: ask him something about himself that only he would know. Yes. Of course:

10:45amBrian
hey help me out here.
10:46amMicah
huh?
10:46amBrian
I need to verify you are who you say you are.
10:46amMicah
sure
go ahead ask me any question
10:46amBrian
what was the name of the group you founded at Kings?


I imagine at this point if the scammer is on Micah's page, he's probably glancing through his profile trying to find an answer. Notice the time that elapses before his response:

10:48amMicah
you kidding me?
10:48amBrian
nope. you would know.



And that's how it ended. He never finished the talk and we never went any further. I emailed Micah from the address given on his profile page but I haven't heard back from him. I hope our hunch was right and he's not at this moment sitting in the hotel lobby in London waiting for someone to bail him out.