Friday, June 13, 2008

No More Google Browser Sync

Just minutes after posting a twitter that I'm considering moving to Firefox 3, I read this post from Lifehacker about how Google will be discontinuing support for their own Firefox extension, Google Browser Sync for the new version of Firefox.

This tool, which I have written about before, synchronizes your bookmark and password data across all the computers you use. It usually worked pretty well too, as I have had four browsers all synced together with it.

It was a tough call, but we decided to phase out support for Browser Sync. Since the team has moved on to other projects that are keeping them busy, we don't have time to update the extension to work with Firefox 3 or to continue to maintain it.

So, since I've become so accustomed to this feature, I've began to look for other options. Fortunately the article already provided a few suggestions including one for Foxmark, which not only allows synchronization across your several computer's browsers, but allows you to log in from anywhere on any computer and access and edit your bookmarks.

We're big Foxmarks fans around here—in fact, we always thought that Foxmarks beat Google Sync when it came to bookmarks.

So I've registered one computer so far with Foxmarks and I'll try it out on a couple of other machines and see how it goes. Oh, and Foxmarks is very much looking forward to the release of Firefox 3. One more thing to try to smooth the transition! Do you sync your browsers?


UPDATE: I don't think I will make the move to FF3 until the Silverlight/MLB bug gets fixed. Apparently, Major League Baseball games cannot be watched in FF3!